Friday, November 20, 2009

This week's Poetry Friday Round-Up is being hosted by The Drift Record/Julie Larios.

Here is my contribution - a Cautionary Tale of sorts:

"Twas the Night of Thanksgiving"

'Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.

I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.

The leftovers beckoned--the dark meat and white,

but I fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation,

the thought of a snack became infatuation.

So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door

and gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,

pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.

I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,

till all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky

With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.

But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees....

happy eating to all---pass the cranberries, please!

Author Unknown.



Here are Friday's Famous Firsts: Can you name the title and author of each first line?

1. "When Mary Lennox was sent to Misslethwhaite Manor to live with her uncle everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen."

2. "It happened many years ago, before the traders and missionaries first came into the South seas, while the Polynesians were still great in numbers and fierce of heart."

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer