Friday, May 14, 2010

This week's Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by Jama Rattigan's Alphabet Soup

How could I not respond with a book about food poetry? Here's "Carrots to Cupcakes: reading, writing, and reciting poems about food," written by Susan M. Freese and illustrated by Jan Westberg. This colorful book is designed to introduce young readers in grades K-3 to the fun of reading poetry. In addition to verse by well-known poets, there is a section with poetry by children. The book also provides tidbits, terms, activities and a glossary.

Friday's Famous First: Can you name the title and author of this first line? "I sashay my bow across the violin strings the way a mosquito skims a summer pond."

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Sounds like a fun book. I just put it on reserve at my library--thanks! I wrote Lettuce Introduce You: Poems About Food as part of a set of 10 poetry books for Capstone Books. It was one of the hardest for me to do out of all 10!

I don't know the author of this first line, but I'm sharing it with my 9th-grade violinist daughter:>)

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer