Friday, February 26, 2016

Poetry Friday



Poetry Friday is hosted today by Elizabeth Steinglass.

My selection is "Messing Around On TheMonkey Bars: and other school poems for two voices" by Betsy Franco with illustrations by Jessie Hartland.

 

Franco explores life in elementary school in this humorous collection of poems designed for reading aloud. Students will identify with experiences that include losing lunch money, new classmates, bus rides, schoolwork, and lost and found. Variations in typeface indicate different or combined voices and there are notes with presentation suggestions about "adventurous ways to read the poems."

 

Hartland's whimsical artwork features a colorful, kid-friendly style that will delight the book's audience.


 

3 comments:

Liz Steinglass said...

This sounds like a great collection for the classroom. I think kids really enjoy poems for multiple voices. Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Reading this cover I'm suddenly mindful of the fact that I haven't seen monkey bars in a school playground for a very long time. So many old favourites that have failed to stand the test of workplace health and safety... I'm intrigued by this - a whole book o two-part poetry. And tips to boot. Sounds fabulous!

Carol Varsalona said...

Janet, what a delight book this is that you brought to our attention. It would probably be a hit in the classroom. I wish there was a site like this when I was a reading teacher in the elementary grades. Then, I would have titles and poems at my fingertips.

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer