Friday, December 6, 2013

Poetry Friday




Poetry Friday is hosted today by Robyn Hood Black.

Just for fun -- My selection is "I've Lost My Hippopotamus: more than 100 poems" by Jack Prelutsky with illustrations by Jackie Urbanovic.
 
 
For those of you who are familiar with Prelutsky's verses, I could probably stop here. Funny, silly, absurd and imaginative are just a few of the words to describe the variety of work gathered in this volume.  Prelutsky offers his young readers an array of forms from haiku to concrete. Topics range from the believable to the impossible as in the imaginary melding of animals and fruit that appears in "The Pelicantaloupes." 

Urbanovic's fun-filled cartoon style artwork is a perfect reflection of the verses.

3 comments:

GatheringBooks said...

This is a new Prelutsky for me. I think I've read most of his books. Thanks for sharing this one.

Mary Lee said...

This is a perennial favorite in my classroom!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Love Jack Prelutsky! I'm all for funny, silly, absurd and imaginative!

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer