Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Writer's Wednesday



Writing for Beginners...


  • "I've always dreamed of being a writer."


  • "I've got this idea for a book."


  • "My friends/family keep telling me I should write down some of the great stories I tell."

Sound familiar?

If that's you then it's time to stop procrastinating and get to work. It's the only way you will ever know if the life of a writer is what you really want. I don't know if you'll succeed, but you'll never find out until you make the attempt.

"You will have to write and put away or burn a lot of material before you are comfortable in this medium. You might as well start now and get the work done for I believe that eventually quantity will make for quality." Ray Bradbury.

Be prepared to invest your time and energy as you learn your craft.


"As a younger man I wrote for eight years without ever earning a nickel which is a long apprenticeship, but in that time I learned a lot about my trade." -- James Michener



It won't be easy. Take a class. Find a mentor. Join a workshop. And don't give up.


"Successful writers are not the ones who write the best sentences. They are the ones who keep writing. They are the ones who discover what is most important and strangest and most pleasurable in themselves, and keep believing in the value of their work, despite the difficulties." Bonnie Friedman.

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer