Friday, March 26, 2010

This week's Poetry Friday Roundup is being hosted by Julie Larios at THE DRIFT RECORD.

The first week of spring has brought a cool breeze to tease the apricot blossoms from the tree in a snowy shower and I appreciate the change from the winter gales that tore through my garden.

With Spring in mind, I turn to a work by Scottish Poet, George MacDonald (1824-1905) titled:

The Wind and the Moon

Said the Wind to the Moon, "I will blow you out.
You stare in the air
Like a ghost in a chair,
Always looking what I am about.
I hate to be watched; I will blow you out."

Thus begins the wind's struggle to rid itself of the moon. For the complete poem visit Apples4theteacher where you will also find some lesson suggestions.

George MacDonald, a prolific author of children's books, was a contemporary of Twain, Whitman and Emerson and his work was admired by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Friday's Famous First: Can you identify the title and author of this first line?
"There was once a little princess whose father was king over a great country full of mountains and valleys."

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer