Monday, December 14, 2009

How many times have you seen this Bumper Sticker -- "If you can read this thank a teacher."

It made me consider the flip-side of reading which is writing. What names would be on my Thank You list of teachers, mentors, etc. One of the questions I'm often asked is: "How did you become a writer?" In answer, I share a story from grade school about seeing my first poem published is a school anthology after it was recommended by my teacher. For an interesting look at the role a teacher plays take a look at the December 8th post titled Tofu Quilt and a Couple More Cool Teachers at A Year of Reading. You might have a name to add to the list of Cool Teachers in Children's Literature.

Here are the answers to Friday's Famous Firsts:

1. "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife." The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

2. "This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse." The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer