Thursday, August 20, 2009

Writing Question for August --Are you a plotter or a plunger?

That is the question asked and answered by author Daniel Kraus, author of The Monster Variations, in the latest post at Cynsations, the blog of Cynthia Leitich Smith. Take a few minutes out of your busy day to read this thoughtful view on an important aspect of the writing process.

How do you get started? How do you get organized? I've found that the answer varies from project to project. Sometimes a scene or sentence leaps onto the page and throws me right into the story. It may not even be the beginning. It could be that moment of conflict where the story turns on itself. Once it was the ending and I had to figure out what got my character to that point.

On different occasions I've needed to outline the story with great care and attention to timelines, character arcs and plot points. In other cases I find myself moving from one form to the other and back again as the story unfolds.

What works for you?

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer