It's that time of year again and here is a short list of picture books that address the first day of school jitters in a variety of entertaining and reassuring stories.
- First Day by Nancy Krulik - Carlos doesn't want to leave kindergarten for first grade. Then he learns that Miss Popper's class is going to have a special guest.
- First Grade Stinks by Mary Ann Rodman - Haley wishes she were still in kindergarten until she discovers the wonders of first grade.
- How Not to Start Third Grade by Cathy Hapka -The first day of school turns upside down for third-grader Will when his younger brother begins kindergarten.
- It's My School by Sally Grindley - Tom doesn't feel like sharing his school with his kindergarten sister, Alice.
- Kindergarten Rocks by Katie Davis - Dexter can't wait to start kindergarten, but Baxter, Dexter's stuffed dog, isn't so sure that school is a good idea.
- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn - Chester is reluctant to start kindergarten until his mom teaches him a secret way to take her with him.
- Off to Kindergarten by Tony Johnston What would you take to your first day of kindergarten? Discover what surprises appear on one young boy's list.