Friday, February 5, 2016

Poetry Friday


Poetry Friday is hosted today by The Miss Rumphius Effect.

My selection is "Birches" by RobertFrost, illustrated by Ed Young.

 

Robert Frost, here in a contemplative mood, his poem given a quite background of soft impressionistic watercolors. Young has made no attempt to interpret the words with camera-crisp precision. Wisely, he offers a muted palette that gently hints at the feelings and images evoked by the words.

 

I'm particularly fond of this poem -- here are four of my favorite lines.

 

Soon the sun's warmth makes them shed crystal shells

Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust --

Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away

You'd think the inner dome of heaven had fallen.


 


4 comments:

Mary Lee said...

This is one of my favorites by Frost! (And we had a birch tree growing up, although we were NEVER allowed to swing it's branches, regrettably...)

Carol Varsalona said...

I love Ed Young's work so I thank you for showcasing the book that pays tribute to Robert Frost.

GatheringBooks said...

Is this a new book? I've been trying to locate it in our libraries but to no avail - the combination of Frost's voice and Young's art is bound to be awesome.

Janet S. said...

Birches was published in 2002 and is available from Amazon.

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer