Friday, January 24, 2014

Poetry Friday



Poetry Friday is hosted today by Tara at A Teaching Life.

For Poetry Friday -- "Antarctic Antics: a book of penguin poems" written by Judy Sierra with illustrations by Jose Aruego and Ariane Dewey.


Sierra offers her readers an inside look at life in an Emperor Penguin colony.
Beginning with a hatchling --
"I'm almost hatched!
I'm almost hatched!
I'm small, I'm wet,
I'm not out yet.
I'm almost hatched!"
-- Sierra introduces the basics of penguin life: mother foraging at sea for two months, father caring for the chick who stays warm snuggled on his feet.  The verses are simple enough for young readers to follow.  The illustrations take just enough creative liberties to be entertaining.  Together they make for a fun and educational introduction to a study of birds or Antarctica.

1 comment:

jama said...

I love penguins. This looks adorable. Thanks for featuring it.

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer