- If the story is for the writer, then perhaps journaling is the answer.
- Are you writing to share memories or experiences with family or friends? Consider memoirs.
- Do you want to connect with others who have had similar life experiences? Perhaps blogging is the option for you.
- If financial security is your goal, then you might want to keep these words from John Steinbeck (1902-1968) in mind: “The profession of book-writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business.”
- Can you offer readers a fresh viewpoint on a well-known topic or a knowledgeable look at a new topic?
- Do you have a gift for storytelling and are you willing to do the work required to develop that gift?
Many writers can benefit from a beginning writer's course or even a one day workshop where many of these issues can be brought into focus. While it's not possible to teach someone to be an effective writer in a day, writers can discover and clarify their motivations and develop some clearly stated goals to enable them to write more successfully.