Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Writer's Wednesday




On the dreaded Writer's block --

We all face that problem from time to time. What to write? How to get that half-formed idea onto the page is a struggle that every writer must confront. Don't worry. You're in good company...


Here are some well-known quotes on the subject from writers past and present.

"The hard part is getting to the top of page 1." -- Tom Stoppard

Too true, but having succeeded in putting those first words on the page the next challenge arrives.

"I always do the first line well, but I have trouble doing the others." -- Moliere


Exactly. What is it that makes this writing thing so difficult?

"I think writer's block is simply the dread that you are going to write something horrible. But as a writer, I believe that if you sit down at the keys long enough, sooner or later something will come out." -- Ray Blount, Jr.

So you're saying that perseverance is key. That makes sense, but sometimes I get stuck halfway through the story. Any suggestions to help me out then?

"I always stopped when I knew what was going to happen next. That way I could be sure of going on the next day." Ernest Hemingway

That's a great suggestion. I'll have to try it. Any final thoughts?

"The mere habit of writing, of constantly keeping at it, of never giving up, ultimately teaches you how to write." -- Gabriel Fielding

For more on this topic check out the post on Writer's Block at The Librarian Writer.

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer