Friday, August 28, 2015

Poetry Friday



Poetry Friday is hosted today by Poetry for Children.





Dakos is at her best with this collection of poetry, some for single voices and some for groups. She captures the fun and foibles of life in an elementary school through the voice of children. Both teachers and students will recognize these deftly portrayed moments in a school day.
Loosely-drawn, cartoon style artwork from Karas accent the verses.

Best Friends

Your work is neat; mine’s such a mess.
I rush too much; you do your best.

You get straight A’s; I get all C’s.
I’m Tom Sawyer’ you’re Socrates.

You love library; I race to gym.
I’m elastic; you’re a straight pin.

You’re a violin; I’m a tambourine.

But we’re the best friends
This school has ever seen.


2 comments:

Ramona said...

So fun to celebrate friendships, even when we're different. My all time favorite Dakos poem is "Call the Periods, Call the Commas" from her collection If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Hi, Janet,
Welcome to the Poetry Friday gathering! Thanks for linking and sharing. I am a BIG fan of Kalli's work too-- especially this one. She really GETS kids and their feelings about school, doesn't she?
Sylvia

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer