Friday, April 11, 2014

Poetry Friday





Poetry Friday is hosted by Today's Little Ditty.
For Poetry Friday -- "Locomotion" by Jacqueline Woodson.
 

Lonnie -- orphaned in a fire, separated from his little sister when she's adopted, and put into foster care -- doesn't know what to do with his loss and grief. Then his fifth grade teacher introduces him to poetry and gradually Lonnie begins to find himself through the power of words. 
Woodson's writing gives the clear, authentic ring of truth to Lonnie's verses as he tells his story in a mix of poetic styles that voice his fears, his thoughts and his dreams.


2 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

I haven't read this book yet. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

GatheringBooks said...

I actually own a copy of this book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Soon, I hope. :)

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer