Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Writer's Wednesday

What's your favorite picture book? I'll bet you can name a few.


Rarely does a week go by when I'm not reading one of my favorites to a class in library. Even my sixth grade students are delighted by a good picture book. That said, you can imagine my dismay when word began to circulate that picture books were obsolete.


That opinion received national attention one year ago when The New York Times published an article -- Picture Books No Longer A Staple for Children.



Picture Book Writers didn't agree and now they are having their say.

I refer you to two articles.

The first is the October 31st post at Write4Kids titled November Being Touted as Picture Book Month. Here you will find background and information about the a new website written by noted picture book advocates.

Then support picture books by visiting Picture Book Month which opened on November 1, 2011. You will have an opportunity to read some thought provoking and inspiring essays by some of the most recognized names in children's picture books.
 

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer