Monday, May 10, 2010

Do You Have a Book to Sell? Part 3

After last Monday's search for award winners and nominees, I have a potential list of books for addition to the library collection. Now I have some additional sources of book ideas to consider...
Recommendations: From booksellers, the students who are the audience for the books I purchase, and I certainly won't forget the numerous reviews from the kidlit bloggers.

Book fairs are always a great place to explore. Many schools host at least one book fair per year that is put on by national and/or regional companies such as Scholastic, local companies such as Mrs. Nelson's, or by neighborhood bookstores. Each of these booksellers will make a point of having the newest and most popular titles available for purchase and as a librarian, I can utilize this opportunity to see what's new in the marketplace.

I'll browse the book fair shelves with my collection in mind and make a point of talking with students to inquire why they are making particular selections.

In addition to once a year events like book fairs, I can collect ideas anytime by visiting the kidlitosphere bloggers who offer a wealth of possibilities to consider. I have a long list of sites that I visit regularly for suggestions and I'm constantly finding new blogs via my favorites.

By the time I'm done, I'll have dozens of titles, authors and genres to consider.

Next Week: How do I whittle down my options to the Must-Haves?

Here is the answer to Friday's Famous First: "Brothers is the baddest," from Coretta Scott King Award winning book, Miracle's Boys by Jacqueline Woodson.

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer