Friday, April 9, 2010


I just came in from walking in my garden. Blackberries and blueberries are in flower, promising delicious treats to come. The vegetables are reaching eagerly for the sun with shiny green leaves still damp with the morning dew. It put me in mind of some garden-themed children's books and what with this being National Poetry Month, I'll offer these suggestions:

For a Spring Poetry Unit: Busy in the Garden written by George Shannon, pictures by Sam Williams. This fun collection of lively poetry and riddles in a picture book format will delight children. Adults will enjoy the jokes and puns that Shannon has incorporated into his work.

Need a science/literature crossover book? I Heard It from Alice Zucchini: poems about the Garden written by Juanita Havill, pictures by Christine Davenier. This collection of twenty seasonal poems gives a smart nod to the science of growing things in some of the works and relishes whimsy in others.

Just for the nonsense of it all. Slugs in Love written by Susan Pearson, pictures by Kevin O'Malley. No star-crossed lovers in a Shakespeare tragedy here, despite that fact that it seems never the twain shall meet. Marylou and Herbie leave poetic love notes to each other in slime all over the garden, but continue to miss each other until one fateful day in the tomato patch.

Today's Poetry Friday Roundup is being hosted at Papertigers blog.

Friday's Famous First: Can you identify the title and author of this first line? "It was hot."

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Your two garden titles are new to me and I think books my kindergarten students would enjoy.

Thanks for sharing.

Marjorie said...

This sounds like a great mix of science and humour - an irresistible mix!

And I've been going around since Friday muttering, "It was hot"... hmmm - I really feel I should know!

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer