Friday, October 23, 2009

October contains an interesting mix of month-long observances and special days. Two attracted my attention for very different reasons.

It's family history month: Family stories from both modern generations and historical periods can be a wonderful inspiration for stories. You do need to keep in mind that it's not necessary to relate the story just as it occurred. Jot down the bones and use the incident as a starting point. If a story has been handed down over a period of time, ask yourself what has made it an enduring tale.

It's also Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog-month. Interestingly enough, I've noticed an increasing number of books about rescued pets making it to the bookstore shelves. I must admit my interest is far more personal. I've been involved in animal rescue for many years and strongly believe in the "Don't shop, Adopt," motto. For more on this topic visit the ASPCA website.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Big A, Little a this week. Check it out.

Here are Friday's Famous Firsts:

1. I'm Emily Elizabeth, and I have a dog.

2. "Did Mama sing everyday?" asked Caleb.

No comments:

The Gingerbread Cowboy Book Trailer