This recognition comes with three important responsibilities:
- Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link back to their blog.
- Share 7 things about you.
- Give this award to up to fifteen bloggers. Contact those bloggers and let them in on the exciting news.
Here are 7 things about me as a writer.
1. I began my career writing for regional and national periodicals.
2. My work as a Library Media Specialist surrounded me with children's literature and eventually caused me to switch a portion of my writing efforts to children's books.
3. My family pioneered their way West by covered wagon to Arizona and I grew up surrounded by Western culture which is why it is often reflected in my work.
4. I feel a personal and professional responsibility to share what I know about my craft with my fellow writers. With that thought in mind, I've co-chaired Young Authors Conferences, provided in-service training/seminars for teachers, and taught writing workshops for children and adults.
5. I'm passionate about doing research. I have shelves and shelves of books on a variety of topics related to the craft of writing, history, folklore, etc. I favor primary sources for history whenever possible and some of my books are from the 1800s.
6. Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway have influenced me through their body of work, but also through their perspectives on the craft of writing.
7. One of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain is: "To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. To condense the diffused light of a page of thought into the luminous flash of a single sentence, is worthy to rank as a prize composition just by itself . . . Anybody can have ideas -- the difficulty is to express them without squandering a quire of paper on an idea that ought to be reduced to one glittering paragraph. -- Letter to Emeline Beach, 10 Feb. 1868
I would like to recognize the following Versatile Bloggers -- listed below in no particular order:
Tales of the Rushmore Kid
The Miss Rumphius Effect
The Happy Accident
Adventures in Children's Publishing
School Visit Experts
The Librarian Writer
Jen Robinson's Book Page